Blackstone Restuarant Brown Sugar Pie

Home Forums Swap Shop Blackstone Restuarant Brown Sugar Pie

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Monica Kass Rogers 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

julie

In the 70′s the Blackstone Restuarant in Blackstone, Va, made the best brown sugar pie. I would love to have the recipe they used!

Hi! I’m reaching out to folks in Blackstone, VA about this. In the meantime, here is a good Brown Sugar Pie recipe credited to Linda Fraser.
    Makes 1, 9-inch pie
    For pie crust:
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tsp extra-fine sugar
    6 Tbsp ice cold unsalted butter
    1/4 cup ice water

For the filling:
    1/4 cup flour, sifted
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups light cream
    3 Tbsp butter, cut in tiny pieces
    fresh grated nutmeg, for garnish
    1. Make crust: sift flour, salt and sugar into a bowl. Rub in butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Sprinkle with water and mix until dough holds together. If it is too crumbly, slowly add more water. Gather into a ball and flatten. Wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
    2. Roll out pastry to a fit 9-inch pie pan. Fold and flute edge. Chill for 30 minutes.
    3. Preheat oven to 425. Line pie shell with parchment; fill with pie weight or dried beans and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until set. Remove and pour out beans/or pie weights. Prick pastry shell all over bottom and bake for five more minutes. Cool.
    4. Turn oven down to 375. Mix together flour and sugar in small bowl using a fork. Spread this mixture into pie shell in an even layer. Stir vanilla into cream and pour over flour and sugar mixture. Gently swirl with fork. Dot with butter and sprinkle nutmeg on top. Place pie on cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes, until filling is golden brown and set. If edges seem to brown too quickly, cover edges with strips of foil to slow browning. Serve pie at room temperature

Christine Hasbrouck

Let me put a question out to my Blackstone contacts for this recipe.

julie

Thank you so much!!

Hi! Not sure if Christine H. had any luck with Blackstone, VA contacts (let us know, Christine!) But I did speak with Mildred Carter, owner of Mildred’s Meals out that way. While Mildred makes all of her recipes from her head “I don’t write anything down…” she did dictate her recipe for the brown sugar pie she’s made in Blackstone for more than 50 years. First, make you favorite crust. Then, make this filling and bake pie at 375 for 40 to 45 minutes.
    Mildred Carter’s Brown Sugar Pie Filling
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 box light brown sugar (one box is 2 1/3 cups, so half of that)
    1/2 stick of melted butter
    pinch salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup milk
    Mix sugars together with salt and melted butter. Beat eggs with vanilla and milk. Combine sugar with milk mixture. Pour into crust and bake at 375 for about 40 to 45 minutes. Enjoy!

julie

Oh my! Thanks so much for all of your efforts. I can’t wait to try Mildred’s recipie!

heatherlifferth
    Participant

This looks like a great recipe. I can’t wait to try it too.

hattie
    Participant

Monica,

I wanted to thank Mildred Carter forĀ  her recipe. I made this for Mom for Mother’s Day and she hasn’t stopped talking about it y et. She said it was just like the one her Mom made. They were from Victoria, a little town not far from Blackstone.

So glad it brought back memories! I will let Mildred know!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.