May 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm #1713
In the 70′s the Blackstone Restuarant in Blackstone, Va, made the best brown sugar pie. I would love to have the recipe they used!May 18, 2012 at 2:57 am #1752
Hi! I’m reaching out to folks in Blackstone, VA about this. In the meantime, here is a good Brown Sugar Pie recipe credited to Linda Fraser.
Makes 1, 9-inch pie
For pie crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp extra-fine sugar
6 Tbsp ice cold unsalted butter
1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
1/4 cup flour, sifted
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups light cream
3 Tbsp butter, cut in tiny pieces
fresh grated nutmeg, for garnish
1. Make crust: sift flour, salt and sugar into a bowl. Rub in butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Sprinkle with water and mix until dough holds together. If it is too crumbly, slowly add more water. Gather into a ball and flatten. Wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
2. Roll out pastry to a fit 9-inch pie pan. Fold and flute edge. Chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 425. Line pie shell with parchment; fill with pie weight or dried beans and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until set. Remove and pour out beans/or pie weights. Prick pastry shell all over bottom and bake for five more minutes. Cool.
4. Turn oven down to 375. Mix together flour and sugar in small bowl using a fork. Spread this mixture into pie shell in an even layer. Stir vanilla into cream and pour over flour and sugar mixture. Gently swirl with fork. Dot with butter and sprinkle nutmeg on top. Place pie on cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes, until filling is golden brown and set. If edges seem to brown too quickly, cover edges with strips of foil to slow browning. Serve pie at room temperature
May 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm #1762
- This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Monica Kass Rogers.
Let me put a question out to my Blackstone contacts for this recipe.May 22, 2012 at 12:25 pm #1767
Thank you so much!!June 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm #1836
Hi! Not sure if Christine H. had any luck with Blackstone, VA contacts (let us know, Christine!) But I did speak with Mildred Carter, owner of Mildred’s Meals out that way. While Mildred makes all of her recipes from her head “I don’t write anything down…” she did dictate her recipe for the brown sugar pie she’s made in Blackstone for more than 50 years. First, make you favorite crust. Then, make this filling and bake pie at 375 for 40 to 45 minutes.
Mildred Carter’s Brown Sugar Pie Filling
1 cup white sugar
1/2 box light brown sugar (one box is 2 1/3 cups, so half of that)
1/2 stick of melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk
Mix sugars together with salt and melted butter. Beat eggs with vanilla and milk. Combine sugar with milk mixture. Pour into crust and bake at 375 for about 40 to 45 minutes. Enjoy!June 5, 2012 at 12:22 pm #2892
Oh my! Thanks so much for all of your efforts. I can’t wait to try Mildred’s recipie!July 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm #3241
This looks like a great recipe. I can’t wait to try it too.May 30, 2013 at 7:26 pm #4166
I wanted to thank Mildred Carter for her recipe. I made this for Mom for Mother’s Day and she hasn’t stopped talking about it y et. She said it was just like the one her Mom made. They were from Victoria, a little town not far from Blackstone.May 30, 2013 at 7:35 pm #4167
So glad it brought back memories! I will let Mildred know!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.