Old Kansas City Airport Restaurant Chicken Dish

Home Forums Swap Shop Old Kansas City Airport Restaurant Chicken Dish

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Monica Kass Rogers 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

richcunninghamny
    Participant

In the late 1950s, the restaurant at the old Kansas City Municipal Airport restaurant served a wonderful chicken dish. I don’t remember the name of the restaurant or how to spell the name of the dish — but it was pronounced chicken CHOCK – a – belly. As I recall, it was something like a chicken cacciatore, but different and very good.

Can anyone come up with the recipe? Thanks!

Rich

THAT is a fun-sounding recipe and food-sleuthing challenge–I’ll see what I can find. Anybody in Kansas City who may have a contact, let me know!

Got it ! Hooray !! Here is the recipe, kindly shared by a reader who wished to remain anonymous:

My mom’s recipe card calls it Tchakhokhbelli (we pronounced it Chock A Belly).  But, my sister and I could never say it so we called it Pink Chicken and Rice because, well, it’s pink.
    Pink Chicken

6 chicken breasts

1 large onion

1/2 cup tomato juice

1 tsp paprika

1/3 cup water

1/2 stick butter

1/2 cup cooking sherry

1/2 tsp salt

pepper to taste

serve with Pink Rice (recipe follows)

Make pink chicken: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On stovetop, melt butter, add chicken and braise until light brown. Remove to a separate baking dish. Saute onion in butter. Add all other ingredients and pour over the chicken. Cook for 30 minutes, turn chicken over and cook for another 30 minutes.

Pink Rice

1/2 large onion

1 cup uncooked rice

1 cup tomato juice

1/4 stick butter

1 cup chicken stock

1/4 tsp salt

Saute onion in the butter. Add rice, stock tomato juice and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender.

Got it ! Hooray !! Here is the recipe, kindly shared by a reader who wished to remain anonymous:

My mom’s recipe card calls it Tchakhokhbelli (we pronounced it Chock A Belly).  But, my sister and I could never say it so we called it Pink Chicken and Rice because, well, it’s pink.
    Pink Chicken

6 chicken breasts

1 large onion

1/2 cup tomato juice

1 tsp paprika

1/3 cup water

1/2 stick butter

1/2 cup cooking sherry

1/2 tsp salt

pepper to taste

serve with Pink Rice (recipe follows)

Make pink chicken: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On stovetop, melt butter, add chicken and braise until light brown. Remove to a separate baking dish. Saute onion in butter. Add all other ingredients and pour over the chicken. Cook for 30 minutes, turn chicken over and cook for another 30 minutes.

Pink Rice

1/2 large onion

1 cup uncooked rice

1 cup tomato juice

1/4 stick butter

1 cup chicken stock

1/4 tsp salt

Saute onion in the butter. Add rice, stock tomato juice and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.