Yellow Cake with Cherries on Top

Home Forums Swap Shop Yellow Cake with Cherries on Top

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Monica Kass Rogers 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My mother used to make a yellow single layer moist pound-like cake in the 1960’s or 70’s. Poured the dough in a baking pan and then dot it with canned cherries and when baked and cooled she would sprinkle with powdered sugar. Can you help me find this one? Thank you. –Pat M.

cllsews
    Participant

I found a “Cherry Cake” recipe at http://www.tastykitchen.com that sounds just like this. Look for it under Deserts—Cakes.

Thank you, cllsews!!

Also, I wanted to share this old recipe for Baked Cherry Pudding from my grandmother’s collection. And oldie-but-good-ie! While this one is made with canned cherries, you can also make it with thawed-from-frozen cherries.

Baked Cherry Pudding with Cherry sauce
    For pudding:
    1/3 cup butter
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp lemon extract
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cup flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup drained canned cherries
    For cherry sauce:
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 Tbsp flour
    pinch salt
    1 cup water
    2 Tbsp butter
    2 Tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 cup cherries
    Method: Make pudding: cream 1/3 cup butter and 2/3 cup sugar. Add egg to milk; add vanilla and lemon extract, salt, flour and baking powder. Combine with butter/sugar mixture. Beat two minuets. Pour into greased shallow pan. Spread with 1/2 cup drained cherries. Bake in moderate oven (350) for 25 minutes.
    Make cherry sauce: Blend 2/3 cup sugar with 2 Tbsp flour and pinch salt. Add water, butter, lemon juice and cherries. Cook slowly, stirring constantly until juice thickens. Serve cherry sauce with slices of the cherry pudding.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.