I’m old enough to remember piling into Dad’s powder-blue Checker Marathon to head to the local mall for crepes at the Magic Pan of the ’70s. But I’m not quite old enough to remember crepes as a ’50s and ’60s fine-dining adventure. Back then, restaurant writers raved about places like San Francisco’s Golden Crepe restaurant, which featured everything from Bengal Curry crepes with seafood-laden Indian curry sauce, to crepes filled with sweetbreads braised with white wine and mushrooms. Kicking off my own little crepes revival with savory versions, I cooked up several versions of mushroom & chicken-filled crepes. Thought you might enjoy this one. The crepe batter recipe comes from Golden Crepe; the filling is ’50s-style: creamy and spiced with nutmeg.
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Oil spray for pan
- 1 lb. fresh, sliced mushrooms, divided
- 6 Tbsp soy butter or regular butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 ½ cups hot chicken stock
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half or milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- Make crepes: Beat eggs. Stir in milk and oil. Gradually stir in flour and salt; beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. Lightly spray a 6 or 7 inch crepe pan or skillet with oil; heat until hot. Stir batter. Add a scant 2 Tbsp. batter to hot pan; tilt to pan is completely covered. cook, turning once, until light brown on both sides. Repeat until all batter is used, brushing pan with oil when necessary. As each crepe finishes cooking place it on a piece of waxed paper.
- Make sauce: Saute half of the mushrooms in 4 Tbsp. butter for 2 minutes. Sift in flour; cook, whisking for 1 minute. Blend chicken stock into flour mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened. In a small bowl, lightly beat yolks with half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Stir into mixture in saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring until hot; do not boil. Remove from heat and pour the sauce into medium bowl. Stir in chicken and nutmeg. Set aside. Clean saute pan. Melt remaining butter in cleaned pan. Add remaining sliced mushrooms and saute two minutes. Turn off heat.
- Assemble crepes: Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken/mushroom mixture onto each crepe. Fold each in half and then fold again into quarters. Place folded crepes on platter. Sprinkle with sauteed mushrooms and chopped parsley.