I can’t say I like baked /sauteed burgers as much as my grilled standard, but some I’ve tested are pretty good. Actress Doris Day’s Swingin’ Burger, requested by reader Elaine B. and featured as part of the Chicago Tribune “Hollywood” recipe series in 1968, includes chunks of sweet peppers, cheese and olives.
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 ½ lbs ground round steak
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 8 stuffed green olives, chopped
- ½ cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 2 or 3 green onions, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- Place ground meat in large bowl; add salt and pepper. Mix. Add remaining ingredients and mix. Form into four large patties.
- Heat heavy iron skillet. Sprinkle small amount of salt in pan and sear patties for three to four minutes on one side. Flatten each before turning. Brown other side for another five/six minutes.