Jump to recipe
When I have the chance to make a special breakfast or brunch, this is my favorite. Perfectly sauteed fillet of salmon, over short grain sushi rice, with a little soy/rice vinegar sauce, toasted seaweed laver, sizzled green onion, and a sunny egg with toasted black sesame sprinkles. A garnish of freshly shredded carrot and red and white cabbage adds a bit of crunch. Note: I toast the sesame seeds and prepare the rice (using a rice cooker) ahead of time to streamline prep. You’ll need just one pan for everything else.
Asian Salmon, Rice + Egg Bowl
- 2 tsp raw black sesame seeds
- 1 green onion
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2, 4-ounce fresh salmon fillets
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked short-grain sushi rice
- ½ cup mix of freshly shredded carrot, red and white cabbage
- 1 sheet toasted seaweed laver, cut into triangles
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 Tbsp water plus 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- To toast sesame seeds, preheat oven to 350. Spread baking sheet with parchment paper, sprinkle raw seeds on parchment. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Trim green onion, discarding root end and any discolored tips. Cut into two-inch pieces. Using a very sharp knife, slice each two-inch section lengthwise to make very thin strips. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, heat oil for one minute. Add salmon fillets, skin side down. Cook until the dark pink of the salmon lightens to a peachy color to about halfway up the filet. Flip fillets, pull off and discard skin. Continue cooking until no raw pink is visible. Do not overcook. Remove salmon from pan to a plate, keeping warm. Cook two eggs in pan, sunny side up, just until white is cooked. Slip eggs onto a plate; keep warm. Add slivered green onion to pan and stir until wilted. Scoop out and set aside. In a small cup, whisk cornstarch into water to make a slurry. Set aside. In a separate cup, whisk soy sauce, rice vinegar and sugar together. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding a bit more sugar if desired. Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil to pan over medium low heat. Whisk cornstarch slurry with soy/vinegar sugar mixture. Pour into pan and whisk until you have a smooth sauce. Remove from heat; To serve, divide prepared rice into two bowls. Top each with a salmon filet and an egg. Pour sauce over filets, top with wilted green onion slivers and shredded carrot/cabbage. Sprinkle eggs with toasted black sesame seeds. Garnish each bowl with seaweed laver triangles.
© 2023 2017 Copyright