Jump to recipe
Mardi Gras parades for 2021 may have been canceled, but the feasting goes on. With crawfish season on, fill a pot with bright red “mudbugs” and do this spicy boil! With plenty of andouille sausage, corn cobettes, and red potatoes, it’s a joyful mess to eat. For a more elegant preparation? Try our Crawfish Monica, featuring the crawfish tail meat in a creamy linguini preparation. Note: Save all of the shells (heads, claws & all) and when you have time, simmer them in a pot to make a nice stock you can use for a crawfish bisque or seafood stew.
- CRAWFISH BOIL
- 4 quarts boiling water
- 4 to 6 Tbsp Cajun Crawfish Boil Spice Mix (below)
- 6 lbs fresh crawfish
- 3 lbs red potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 lbs andouille sausage or Cajun sausage in links
- 2 whole medium-sized onions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- handful of fresh bay leaves (6 to 8)
- CAJUN CRAWFISH BOIL SPICE BLEND
- 2 to 3 Tbsp Cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp Spanish paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried mustard
- 2 Tbsp each, garlic powder & onion powder
- 2 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 3 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 tsp salt
- GARLIC BUTTER SAUCE
- 1 stick butter
- 2 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp of the Cajun Crawfish Boil Seasoning Blend you just made
- Grated zest from 1/2 a fresh lemon
- Juice from 1/2 a fresh lemon
- MAKE SPICE BLEND: Mix all ingredients.
- PREPARE CRAWFISH BOIL: Make your crawfish-boil spice blend. Set 4 quarts of water to boiling. Add 4 to 6 Tbsp of the spice blend, plus a handful of fresh bay leaves, 2 whole onions, 6 cloves of garlic and 2 sliced lemons to the boiling water. Add as many of the crawfish as will fit into the boiling water. Boil for five minutes, until crawfish are bright red. Remove crawfish from pot. Repeat with remaining crawfish, removing after cooked and bright red. Add potatoes to the boiling water that you just removed the crawfish from. Boil 5 minutes. Leaving potatoes in pot, now add corn, broken into 3-inch cobettes. Boil five minutes more. Add sausage. Boil five minutes more. Remove potatoes, corn and sausage and add to crawfish on a bit platter. Keep warm.
- PREPARE GARLIC BUTTER SAUCE: In a heavy-bottomed saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, zest and lemon juice. Stir thoroughly. Pour over crawfish boil ingredients before serving.
© 2023 2017 Copyright