Enhanced with curry, dried mushrooms and bacon, this beef-barley soup from long-gone Helen’s Olde Lantern in Blue Island, IL, was requested by reader John S. He remembered it having a lot more bacon : ) You can always add more.
Beef Mushroom Barley Soup
Enhanced with curry, dried mushrooms and bacon, this beef barley soup is flavorful and warming
Write a review
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2 packages center cut beef shank, about 3 1/2 pounds
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, slivered
- 1 celery rib
- 1 pkg. or 1/4 ounce dried mushrooms
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 4 French shallot bulbs, or one large onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp each; salt, freshly ground pepper
- Sliced fresh mushrooms for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Place bacon on cookie sheet and place on one rack. Cut as much meat off beef bones as you can. Place bones and beef into ovenable pan. Sprinkle with the olive oil, salt & pepper, and slivered onion. Place on another rack in the oven until meat is well browned.
- Remove bacon from the oven, reserve a small amount of the fat. Chop bacon. Set aside.
- Remove beef, bones and juices into a large saucepot. Add onion, celery and 12 cups water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low to maintain a simmer. Simmer for 2 hours.
- During the last 1/2 hour of simmering, cover dried mushrooms with warm water in a medium sized bowl; let stand until rehydrated. Drain and slice.
- Strain stock. Discard onion and celery. Reserve broth. Remove any meat from bones; chop and set meat aside, reserving it to add to finished soup, later. Discard bones.
- Cover barley with water in small saucepan. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes; drain. Stir rehydrated mushrooms and barley into stock.
- Pour small amount of collected bacon fat into heavy skillet. Over medium heat, cook chopped onion and fresh mushrooms until tender. Stir onion and mushrooms into soup stock. Stir in curry powder, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Stir in reserved meat. Garnish each serving with sliced fresh mushrooms and crumbled bacon.
Adapted from MKRogers
Adapted from MKRogers
Lost Recipes Found https://lostrecipesfound.com/