Richly flavored with molasses, strong coffee and a generous portion of ground cloves, these bars are one of my favorite holiday baking treats. They’re adapted from a recipe originally published 33 years ago in a community cookbook from Ladies Aid at Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church in South Milwaukee, WI. Slather the coffee icing on while the bars are still warm.
Coffee & Molasses Dream Bars
Richly flavored with molasses, strong coffee and cloves, these bars are one of my holiday baking favorites.
Write a review
- Coffee Molasses Dream Bars Ingredients
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup strong, hot coffee
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- Coffee Icing Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cold coffee
- Make bars: Cream butter and sugar together for 5 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking several minutes for each egg. Add molasses and hot coffee. Sift dry ingredients together. Gradually mix dry ingredients in to the batter and blend well. Line a 1/2-sheet pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350. Spread batter in pan. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Make coffee frosting: While bars are baking, cream butter with powdered sugar. Add cold coffee, whisk until smooth.
- Remove bars from oven to a rack. While bars are still hot, frost with coffee frosting.
Lost Recipes Found https://lostrecipesfound.com/
These truly are dreamy! I made them a few weeks ago, and they are like velvety gingerbread. The coffee glaze is to die for, and goes perfectly with all the warm spicy flavors in the cake. I successfully halved the recipe and baked it in a 9×9 pan. This recipe is a keeper! Thank you.